Friday 9 September 2011

Positivity

Have you come across people in your office who have something negative to say all the time? Or, are complaining/whining or just being a plain old drag? I bet you have. And such a person could very well be a close friend, your parents, siblings, a relative or even a friend from many years ago you have just reconnected with on the wonderful Facebook. And I am not judging them, for who knows, the reason behind their demeanor could be deep-rooted, genuine anxiety about something in their personal lives or perhaps clinical depression starting from worries at home or at work. We all have such days when the positivity in us is simply beyond reach, despite all efforts. But let’s face it, we all know one or two individuals who moan without a cause; they complain because they can!

Perhaps the groaners and moaners were growing in number in our office lately, or perhaps we simply ran out of reasons to feel cheerful about—what with the economy, budget cuts and jobs being hacked. Whatever be it, our senior management decided that it was time for a “motivational speaker” to boost our morale and make us all feel geared up at the work front. This happened at our annual retreat recently. Following several nice speeches and a wonderful buffet lunch, we were subjected to nearly 30 minutes of motivational speech. It soon became the longest 30 minutes I have spent listening to someone delivering a speech. Her “let’s do it because you are special” spiel became insufferable and I felt like running out of the room!

However, I am determined to steer myself away from negativity, so I am going to concentrate on what I actually found nice in the talk. (And this may be something you have heard/read about somewhere – then please stop reading from this part onward!)

Can you classify yourself as one of the following? Are you a D’Grunt, a Gomo or a Smover? What are these, you say? I didn’t know, so I started following the speaker more carefully as she went on to describe the qualities of the D’Grunt (a disgruntled person), the Gomo (person going through the motions) and the Smover (a person who crosses the line and smiles and moves). So you can tell, those carriers of negativity can fall into the D’Grunt category and the “I don’t care but will go through the motions” are the bearers of the Gomo pall. I won’t go into the details, but Google Sam Parker and you can read more.

What I took away from it is what we can do to get out of this rut of negativity and lethargy that can drag us down in all walks of life – whether at home or at work. Here are a few things the speaker had listed – she admitted to have collected them from the motivational gurus out there (Seth Godin, Jon Gordon and Sam Parker, to name a few):
1. Don’t expect others to make you happy. You are the only one who can do that.
2. Focus on what you “get to do” instead of what you “have” to do.
3. Re-establish your passion and purpose.
4. Celebrate the great moments and the accomplishments.
5. Decide not to be a D’Grunt or a Gomo. Decide to be an asset.
6. Have an attitude of appreciation and say “thank you” often.

I will add to this that we should also try to celebrate the small moments and little accomplishments. What’s mine today, I ask? I managed to stay away from that giant burger at Ruggles Green Café. Should I also count my momentary happiness when I did give in to their chocolate crème brulee cheesecake? :-)

Ok, that’s it from me. I’ll leave you to ponder on these… while I go read up some more stuff written by these sage folks.

5 comments:

  1. Re-establish your passion and purpose - that turns around everything and makes a new you. - vijay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes those speakers get a bit too motivated themselves, but are unaware of the pain they are turning themselves into! Anyway, your article was as usual a very good read, and served to inspire as well. We all need small doses of motivation and inspiration from time to time. So glad that Spacers has been created. Gives the whole blogging thing a "family feeling!. Keep writing, Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. positivity - that's all i need around me. this post makes me think about what i need to change in myself... good one, Mimi!

    you're right, Ruma Di! it does feel like a family here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Watched the Secret movie and after that i spoke to a few people around and i was stunned to know how many people followed it and so many of them said that it worked.
    My cousin told me she follows it and it worked. It only says to think about the good stuff and forget the bad things. When ever a bad thought comes to my mind, it i will either go to sleep or put on some music.and its working good since then, i worry less now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember years back.We had such a speaker He walked from right to left on the stage and smiled all the time.I knew a day later when i got his bill to pay).
    He asked Who is the most important person in ur life...Some said My Mom My kids...and
    he said....UUUUUUUUUUU U are the most important one.
    And all the same bla bla. A good start of the day.We got stickers with a tiger head on we had to put it on the mirror at home..In the morning u watch the mirror and say..Hi there tiger..Yessssssssssss im ready for this day.
    Well its not always working Mimi.
    Oke i understand what u write...U have ppl that are happy when they act negativ..But thats the caracter. Well try to enjoy the positiv and we cant always just push the Negativ off button.

    ReplyDelete