Wednesday 31 August 2011

Absence of rain

Last night the thunder rumbled (think empty stomach but louder), the sky was dark (think black), and the air was thick with moisture. Anticipation was building, it has been quite some time since we got any rain. We did get a 24 rain earlier in the day - 24 drops of water on my windshield while waiting at a red light. I counted them before I killed them all with a flick of my wrist turning the windsield wipers on. The baked, hard-packed earth is crying out for moisture. There is no telling when it will come and when it does, will it flood the area? People still build in low-lying areas. Tomorrow another day, maybe rain, maybe not. Sunday the predicted high is 84 maybe that will be cool enough for rain.

3 comments:

  1. it has been a very dry summer this year. only 2 days of rain so far, and on those 2 days, it only rained for half an hour or so. there's a tropical storm building up in the Gulf of Mexico, and people are hoping for a lot of rain. But we only want some rain, no flooding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since 2 months we don’t have sun..Only heavy rains so the globe is a bit dizzy I think.
    Summertime here guys.
    Yesterday we had one day sunshine..Effect….everyone outside to the beaches.
    Kids in their element building sandcastles and the parents watching them with a joyfull face.
    But this was one day affair..Now the apple and pears growers shoot againto the clouds.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail_cannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Richard, I'm new to this like everyone else, so keeping track of my friends' posts are a bit tricky. For instance,I stumbled on this post only now! Besides the fact that I acknowledge that your area of the US is thoroughly rain deprived this year, I wanted to say, "Hey, it's good to see you and the old group back again. I hope this bonding lasts, even though the posts may not be that frequent, owing to the invention of Facebook!"
    Take care, keep posting.

    ReplyDelete